Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Skyspace

Finished my whiskey and ginger ale, put on my flannel, and took my umbrella from the studio out into the rain. It was dusk and the south end of the sky was full heavy blue. As I passed James Turrell's, Skyspace I noticed the water was turned on. The small water falls were doing battle with the weather. This piece, turquoise and stucco - a bit of transplanted southwest on a busy Chicago intersection - was finally starting to do it's thing. The sound of the fountain and jets of water blended the traffic: hurrying and turning on the flooded road. I left and the flow stuck with me as the passing tires meeting the wet pavement were influenced and driven by a display of light; obvious but fleeting, like the UFOs over Marfa.

all photos of Skyspace and the street near it were taken with my camera phone

No comments:

Post a Comment