Sunday, February 28, 2010

two new blue

2 new pieces. The first, Blue Spill, is a re-working of an older piece: Coleman 82 Quart Ultimate Xtreme Cooler. I felt that I had no good justification for the use of cardboard in the earlier piece - at the time I thought of the cardboard in terms of poor materials and thereby as a comment on class. The comment on class didn't come from the material, rather it came from the subject - a cooler (a very vernacular and utilitarian object). This piece is also a nod to a Bill Conger piece from some time ago. The second piece is my toast to the creation of stars. I chose this object because of it's similarity to some gas clouds that birth stars, and because it reflects light. Its a miniature stellar gas cloud and a salute to the creation stars.

Blue Spill (Coleman cooler, lights, extension cord) 2010

Blue Spill (detail)

Celestial Ether (cocktail toothpick and tape) 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment