Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rocks and Magic

a systematic cataloging of the talismanic rocks that I own (click on the image to read the descriptions)

I've always collected rocks. I'm just now noticing that I use them around my apartment as talisman that help the ebb and flow of my life. (kinda hippy, I know) So it seems no surprise that I've been making some work about magical stones. Also, at this site (crystalmaster.com) you can see a list of stones/minerals and their healing powers. I haven't been to this shop yet (it is in Chicago) but I did pick up a sheet detailing the same powers from their door. By this list an agate "discerns the truth, accepts circumstances, and is a powerful emotional healer".

Adam Farcus - We now use the country itself, as its own map (collage on paper) 12" x 12", 2011 [for Steve Roden, via my Preemptive Drawing and Small Sculpture Sale] - imagery is from my Boy Scout Handbook (10th edition), Birkby, 1990; Rocks and Minerals, Zim/Shaffer, 1957; and Astronomy (10th edition), Fredrick/Baker, 1976

Adam Farcus - Agate (cardboard, hot glue, acrylic, spray paint, and glitter) 6" x 6" x 6", 2011 [for Steve Roden, via my Preemptive Drawing and Small Sculpture Sale]

Adam Farcus - Agate (cardboard, hot glue, acrylic, spray paint, and glitter) 6" x 6" x 6", 2011 [for Steve Roden, via my Preemptive Drawing and Small Sculpture Sale]

some other rock pieces of mine are here (Weight of the World) and here (Rock for Brett Favre's Window)

No comments:

Post a Comment