Saturday, February 25, 2012

gdfsw

The Anatomy Lesson is so famously overexposed, so crusted over with conventional regard, as to be almost impossible to see afresh. And indeed, when I recently came upon the painting once again, rather than seeing it I found myself recalling an essay I hadn't thought about in almost thirty years -- the English critic John Berger's 1967 rumination on the occasion of Che Guevara's death. Responding to the simultaneous appearance seemingly all over the world of that ghastly photo of Che's felled body, stretched out half naked across a bare surface and surrounded by the proud Bolivian officers and soldiers who had succeeded in bagging the revolutionary leader, Berger made a startling connection to Rembrandt's Anatomy Lesson.
- from An Anatomy Lesson: Looking at Rembrandt between sessions of the Yugoslav war-crimes tribunal in The Hague, by Lawrence Weschler, 1997.
Borrowing the sentiments of Berger and Weschler, the following images demonstrate a visual continuation of aesthetic qualities. The list/collection was created by going to Google image search, punching my keyboard ("gdfsw" was generated), and hitting search. I then took one image and entered that into Google's new "search by image" function. I did this for each consecutive image. The result is a lineage of image searches that, initially, would seem like they are only formally related. As I see it, the interesting part of this exercise is the relationships and juxtapositions that occur.


No comments:

Post a Comment