Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sandy talisman


In Far Rockaway, Terrence Nottingham, 32, spoke of the Boardwalk as a kind of talisman. 

“If I’m ever going through something or feeling a certain way, I can come to the Boardwalk and it’s very serene,” he said. “I just look out at the water and I can just clear my head and think about how to help myself.” 

“I just hope that they hurry up and build another one, like this one but make it stronger,” he added. 
 -Where Boardwalks Beckoned, a Way of Life Lies in Splinters. New York Times. Nov. 8, 2012.

all of these, and more can be found and purchased at http://www.driftrelief.org/.

meanwhile, in my studio, i've been playing with 2 sticks that were left behind from Hurricane Ike and a jar of red clay-soot that was washed up when my backyard and basement flooded from Superstorm Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment