Saturday, February 26, 2011

being a (sick) artist


I'm sick again. I think I had a cold, which quickly turned into a sinus infection. I've been at home, listening to Bad at Sports and watching the Daily Show, for almost three days. As a teacher you would assume that I would be paid enough to have the basic necessities. I don't have health insurance, I am applying for food stamps, I have requested cheaper payments on my student loans, and I pay less for rent then my wife does. These are the times when my resolve and passion for art is tested. I find my active social voice in art and teaching. I want to make some kind of difference. I feel like I have something to contribute to society. This is what I tell my students who are aiming for a life in the arts, and this is what I tell myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment